We would love your help!
1. Sign up online right here!
Please make sure you have read “More About Volunteering with PAHL” found below.
3. Read and fill out the form below.
For new volunteers, please complete the orientation found here.
More About Volunteering with PAHL
Hello and welcome to PAHL: Partners in Action for Healthy Living!
We are a 501c3 nonprofit group of residents, businesses and churches that are committed to making a positive change in South DeKalb County by addressing health issues through policy, systems, and environmental changes.
Too many of our residents suffer from preventable chronic conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, and obesity. These conditions affect their quality of life but can be modified or prevented by adopting healthy eating and active living habits.
South DeKalb residents typically do not have the resources or information and support to embrace healthy habits.
That’s where PAHL comes in! We help communities engage and become empowered with knowledge, skills, and resources that impact their health and uplift their quality of life.
It takes a lot of hard work and a great group of dedicated people to get it done. That’s where you as a volunteer come in! Consider yourself the backbone of PAHL and the force that brings our mission to make South DeKalb a healthier place a reality. We cannot do this without you! So give yourself a congratulatory pat on the back, roll up your sleeves and get ready to make a positive change for a healthier South DeKalb.
Ever grateful for your time, energy and support,
PAHL Board of Directors
Partners in Action for Healthy Living (PAHL) promotes healthy eating, active living and community building in low-moderate income communities in South DeKalb County, Georgia. PAHL recognizes that where you live determines a lot about how you live, so creating a safer and more connected community is central to promoting good health. Serious disparities in health, income and education exist in South DeKalb County as compared to North DeKalb County. PAHL, through community gardens and related programs, community forums and active living initiatives, aims to give communities the tools to mobilize and empower residents to address those disparities. Creating real access to healthy choices is the PAHL mission.
To achieve its mission, PAHL employs a holistic approach that begins with active partnering. PAHL listens to resident’s ideas and needs to address key community issues that impede healthy living. This approach is a 4-pronged model that includes fostering communication, providing education, creating gardens and other community assets that foster environmental change and providing opportunities for healthy living. PAHL operates a range of programs to provide relevant health education, increase access to healthy food, promote active lifestyles, and promote community building. PAHL’s programs and events are designed to create a culture of healthy living in South DeKalb and surrounding communities. PAHL is also focusing efforts on creating environmental changes that directly and positively impact the social determinants of health.
PAHL creates healthy living opportunities with the following community events:
- The Healthy Life Expo
- Annual FFAST 5K & 1 Mile Fun Run/Walk
- Screen on the Green events
- Neighborhood Walks
- PAHL Produce Market
- Community Forums
- Senior Produce Delivery
- Community Garden Work Days
- Community Beautification & Clean-up Projects
South DeKalb is a thriving area where residents can easily access healthy food and communities are safe for outdoor physical activity; residents are readily connecting to each other and to county resources. The whole environment of South DeKalb County makes healthy living an easy choice for all residents.
Partners in Action for Healthy Living empowers South DeKalb County residents to make healthy choices that support their best quality of life. We do this by increasing access to healthy food and active living opportunities and by promoting community building and environmental changes that sustain a culture of health.
PAHL commits to these Values in its work:
- PAHL seeks to involve a diverse set of residents and community leaders in its work and is committed to the principle of Respect for All
- Everybody has a voice
- We meet people where they are
- PAHL is committed to pursuit of collaboration & partnering for diversity and reach
- We believe in the importance of empowering individuals and communities
- Raising capacity in individuals and communities
- Increasing access to healthy alternatives
- Increasing awareness of personal power
- Connecting residents and county government
- Promoting equity for South DeKalb and surrounding communities
- We act with integrity
- We pursue honesty in all activity
- We are committed to financial and organizational transparency
Volunteering with PAHL is a great opportunity to share your special skills and talents while having a positive impact on the community. It is also an opportunity to gain a variety of valuable and marketable skills and experiences. PAHL offers numerous ways to enrich your life with satisfying volunteer experiences. We encourage all ages and backgrounds to bring their energy and particular skill sets to the table. These are just a few ways that you can be a viable part of our mission:
- Marketing (social media, door-to-door, online, local businesses)
- Fundraising (sponsorships, plant sale, produce market, grants)
- Leading Neighborhood Walks
- Working at the Community Garden
- Working at our Produce Market
- Grant writing
- Become a “Garden Buddy” with the Garden for All program
- Help harvest and deliver produce to community seniors
- Neighborhood clean-ups
- Special event set-up and break-down and other event assistance
This list only scratches the surface in ways for you to become involved! Get to know us and let us get to know you and we’ll get started on making positive change to the overall health of our South DeKalb communities. Contact info@PAHLGA.org to get started.